Friday, January 18, 2008

Potty Training Continued....

I have had many people ask me how Trevor is coming along on the potty. He is doing so well! Last week he didn't poop in his diaper from Tuesday - Friday. Then Saturday he went in the tub (GROSS!) and Sunday while we were at church he went in his diaper. He got back into his routine on Monday and hasn't went poop in his diaper all week. I have been sitting him on the potty every hour or so and telling him to go pee pee, and sometimes he would go and sometimes he wouldn't. He started yesterday telling me poo poo, so we would run (literally) to the pot and he sat on it and went. I am more convinced than ever the earlier you start training the easier it is on the child and the parent. I've seen parents start toilet training their kids at 2 1/2 thinking it would be easier because the child "understands" more. Then the parent is frustrated with their child because he/she won't do it. I think by this time the child has become so accustomed to pooping themselves, and besides its so much more convenient to poop in your pants than stop playing and having fun to go sit on a potty, that they don't want to do it. I think that children understand way more than we adults give them credit for. Call me crazy, but I also think that children feel a lot better about themselves when they go in the potty. Trevor smiles so big and claps his hands when he goes on the pot. He knows he's a "big boy". When he went last night our whole family clapped and cheered for him. It was priceless to see his face light up knowing we were cheering for him.

No comments: