Monday, August 22, 2011

Peaches Are NOT My Friends

For anyone wanting to start canning peaches let me tell you from first hand experience, it is a huge pain. I made the mistake of buying two bushels of peaches on Friday unaware of the misery I was going to be putting myself through. The thing about this fruit is that it has to be just the right ripeness for canning. I did a half bushel today and was ready to pull my hair out. Some of the peaches weren't ripe enough so the skin had to be hand pealed and then other peaches were overly ripe so when we went to take the pit out the entire thing turned to mush. And then the mess. An OCD's worst nightmare. Juice is everywhere. Everything is sticky. Peaches are very slippery when you take the skin off and they were flying out of my hand left and right. I am getting a pretty large belly on me these days so it isn't the easiest thing climbing off a stool to chase down a fly away peach. **Insert big sigh here**. I still have a bushel and a half to complete tomorrow. Anyone else had as big as a problem as I have had with this delicious but very annoying fruit?

And yes, I know that I am breaking house rule number one.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Yes, yes, and yes. I've determined not to buy Michigan peaches any more for canning!

I bought a half-bushel a week or so ago (Red something-or-others). After mangling a LOT of peaches, I gave up on trying to can peach halves and made "Zesty Peach Barbecue Sauce" and then Peach Salsa. Yum. Then, after a few days of hanging out on my counter, I was actually able to get 7 pints of perfectly pitted and sliced peaches.

I hope things go better for you!

Our Family said...

Glad to know I am not the only one that has struggles with peaches! I got 13 more quarts done today and then gave the majority of my left over peaches to a friend. Now its on to easier things like carrots and more beans! Peach BBQ sauce sounds amazing:)